Already, you may have taken the important step of realizing that litigating your conflict with other family members is not the process you are looking for. But what is?
Here are ten ways that Family Tree Mediation believes estate dispute mediation can serve you and your family better than any other alternative:
- By creating and holding a caring, attentive and inquiring communication space where you can all feel equally respected, free and encouraged to speak your truth in a confidential setting;
- By facilitating a multi-party communication process aimed at giving each family member deeper satisfaction that he or she really has been heard and understood;
- By identifying and distinguishing between the different positions held by respective family members and the core needs those positions are intended to satisfy;
- By facilitating exploration of each others’ core needs as a means for creating more opportunity for creative solutions that address the diverse range of interests represented among the whole family;
- By identifying and discussing different standards and processes for evaluating the merit of proposed solutions;
- By helping the family to apply those standards as a means for voluntarily coming to and refining an agreement on a plan for addressing the issues at hand;
- By facilitating the development of a plan for implementing the solutions agreed upon;
- By assisting the family in formalizing the agreement;
- By fostering an environment in which family members have the opportunity to heal old wounds, apologize for any past wrongs or regrets, and overcome childhood or other patterns that no longer serve a useful purpose;
- And by creating an opportunity for training and practice in more constructive communication patterns that will serve the family well when faced with other difficult issues in the future.
If you have questions you would like to ask about Family Tree Mediation’s proactive estate planning mediation services or if you would like to schedule an appointment for mediation, you can call me at (650) 762-TREE [762-8733] or email me using the email form on our Contact Us page.
Hank Edson, J.D. CALL: (650) 762-8733
Proprietor of Family Tree Mediation
Serving Redwood City, Atherton,
Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Mountain View,
Los Altos and the wider Peninsula &
San Francisco Bay Area.